Have gone in the "attempt to post a memorable or representative song snippet" direction and not the "I hate you and am posting two semi-random only-known-by-uber-fans" direction I briefly considered. Lyrics ahoy:
1. In the sun, in the sun I feel as one. In the sun, in the sun. Married. Buried.
2. The world has gone mad today, and good's bad today, and black's white today, and day's night today, and that gent today, you gave a cent today, once owned several chateaus.
3. When I get near you, the games begin to drag me down. It's all right - I'll make you maybe next time around. But if I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind - that is confusing things.
4. I know a thing or two about her. I know she'll only make you cry. She'll let you walk the street beside her. But when she walks, she'll pass you by.
5. You cut my gentle flower down. Pierced her side with a pin for your lapel. You plucked the ruby from her crown. Now your karma's coming down. (x4)
6. You get what you pay for, but I just had no intention of living this way. I need a phone call. I need a plane ride. I need a sunburn.
7. Oh, god, I can't believe it. You have asked and so you shall receive it, in the ear. Victory draws near, but no fear my dear, I'll be here another year, that's right.
8. My friends are gone and you... have too. No peace shall... I find. Until you come back, and be mine. No matter what you do or say, I'm gonna love you anyway.
9. "There must be some kind of way out of here," said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion - I can't get no relief.
10. Twilight zone, twilight zone, I'm floating in the dark alone, and is there any love out here - let me know.
11. They knew all the right people. They took all the right pills. They threw outrageous parties. They paid heavenly bills.
12. Na, na, na na. Na na na na na. (All right, all right!) Na, na, na na na. Na-na na na na na. (Way cool!)
13. And the same goes for me, whenever you want me at all. I'll be here, yes I will, whenever you call. You just gotta call on me, yeah. You just gotta call on me.
14. Let's nuke the bridge we torched two thousand times before. This time we'll blast it all to hell. I've had this burning in my guts now for so long. My belly's aching now to say.
16. I think they're selling snake oil at the dog and pony show. In the garden, gee, well would you pardon me, and by the way, how does it grow?
17. And the same black line that was drawn on you was drawn on me. And now it's drawin' me in.
18. And I got a feelin' down in my shooooes, said, way down in my shooooes. Yeah, I got to ramble, whoa-a-oh. I got to move on, whoa-a-oh.
19. She turns and says "are you alright?" I said, "I must be fine 'cause my heart's still beating." "Come and kiss me by the riverside, yeah - Bobby says it's fine, he don't consider it cheating."
20. I'll take advantage while you hang me out to dry. But I can't see you every night, free.
Twenty songs... and the fates of randomization give me two artists twice. (Also, a TV theme song - yeesh.) The rest of it is broad-spectrum decades-spanning pop- and alterna-rock, for the most part - representative enough, methinks. (And gives folks a better shot at recognizing many of these than most folks' lists, I would think.)
Guess away, if you're so inclined. I'll post the actual answers in a couple days' time.